November 30, 1876 marked the date the Milwaukee, Lake Shore & Western Railroad was completed between Appleton and New London. Extending the line from Manitowoc, New London passengers were now able to connect with Milwaukee and Chicago.
|The Chicago and Northwestern Railroad acquired MLS and W on August 19, 1893, thus making the New London connection a part of the C & NW system. A Chicago & Northwestern timetable from 1905 showed that four northbound and four southbound passenger trains came through New London each day.|
|Trains such as the Flambeau, The Twin Cities Express and the Fox River Express took travelers to such cities a Chicago, Milwaukee, Minneapolis and Ashland. The last passenger and mail trains came through New London on November 19, 1954.|
|New London was also a busy freight terminal. Trains 281 and 282 worked between Fond du Lac and Ashland by way of New London. In addition, there was a switch engine based here, and during the 1950's as many as 200 car loads per month were switched in and out of New London industries. By 1971 the switch engine had been taken off as business declines. Throughout the 1970's fewer freight trains existed, and in 1981 service was reduced to a twice weekly switch run.|
|On December 10, 1988, some 200 miles of Wisconsin trackage, including the New London branch, were sold by the C & NW to create the Fox Valley Railroad shortline. Service continued twice weekly from Appleton until May of 1990, when due to poor track conditions, the line was taken out of active service.|