Made in New London
Hatten Lumber-Small Collection
Object ID:
Object Name:
Scope & Content:
Photo of the Hatten Lumber Mill taken from the southside of the river.
VE Exhibit Label 1:
From 1854 to1970, a sawmill stood in New London at the point where the Wolf and Embarrass rivers meet. This mill was best known as the Hatten Lumber Mill.

William Hatten moved to New London in 1891. Together with James Meikeljohn he formed Hatten-Meikeljohn Lumber Company. They purchased logs and used the Embarrass River to float them down to the mill. Farmers from the area also sold logs by the wagonload to the mill.

James Meilkejohn died in 1894. Hatten renamed the mill the Hatten Lumber Company. In October 1903, Hatten Lumber briefly shut down due to a lack of logs. Instead of firing the employees, many temporarily relocated to lumber camps in the north woods of Wisconsin. At other times demand was so high, the mill operated around the clock.

After William Hatten died in 1937 and his estate settled, Norvil Hiller of Appleton purchased the company. Then in 1945, a local businessman, Henry Miles, bought the mill. In July 1970, Clark Oil tore down the remaining mill buildings to make way for a service station.
Hatten Lumber Mill
Credit Line:
In Memory of Hatti Seefeld & Esther Bellile
Click to Enlarge