Made in New London
Collection:
Edison Wood Products-Small Collections
Object ID:
2011.25.1
Object Name:
Brick
Description:
A red brick from the Zerrenner brick yard. This brick was used at the Edison factory at 613 East Beacon. It is embossed in the center of the brick with "Zerrenner"
VE Exhibit Label 1:
Fred Zerrenner and his son started the brickworks in 1897. They made both cream and red colored bricks. Mr. Zerrenner sold the brickworks to Clarence Hocker in 1936. The plant was located on a tract of eight acres of land north of New London on what is now Spurr Rd on the portion between Shawano St and Hwy 45. The mill operated from the month of May to November. They produced on average 1.5 million bricks. The clay deposit was located on the site of the brickyard. Many of the homes and businesses in New London contain bricks from this brickyard.
Year Range from:
1894
Year Range to:
1936
Makers Mark:
Zerrenners brickworks
Click to Enlarge
Image