Made in New London
Collection:
Knapstein Brewery-small collection
Object ID:
1987.51.1
Object Name:
Sign, Trade
Description:
Medium-sized metal sign in the shape of a barrel lying horizontally. The top of the barrel reads, "We Serve Knapstein's Beer". At the top of the sign, a small chain is attached for hanging on the wall. Design is done in lithograph transfer onto metal, the back of the sign is painted black
VE Exhibit Label 1:
Theodore Knapstein began his brewing career in the late 1860's as a partner in the Becker, Beyer and Company brewery. After Mr. Beyer's death in 1875, Mr. Knapstein purchased Mr. Becker's share of the business. Theodore and his brother, Henry, renamed the brewery Theodore Knapstein and Company. They built a new brewery in 1897. The building was four stories high with a basement. People from every part of New London could see it.

In 1908, Henry left due to illness. Theodore's sons joined him in the business, which became the Knapstein Brewing Co. The business thrived until prohibition shut it down in 1919. The buildings went unused for eight years except for the bottling house, which the Wolf River Ice Cream Co. purchased in 1922.

In 1926, William M. Knapstein one of Theodore's sons, his cousin, William H. Knapstein of Greenville, and John Haug of Appleton, purchased the remaining brewery property and formed a partnership. They began to make wort, an unfermented malt extract. After three years, Mr. Haug left and the Knapstein cousins continued until the repeal of prohibition in 1933.

The Knapstein's immediately began readying the buildings to make beer again. In May 1933, they formed the Knapstein Brewing Co. The company was a closed corporation with capital stock of $100,000. They split the shares between them and their wives. In October 1944, William M. Knapstein bought all the stock of the company. The brewery closed in 1958 and the buildings torn down in 1970.
Year Range from:
1940
Year Range to:
1958
Material:
Metal
Click to Enlarge
Image